It’s June already.. hurrah! If you’re marching the daily commute and basking in un-summery weather, it’s time to put your daydreams to use and start packing for the holidays. But what on earth should you take?
Every time I promise myself to take less..DV
If you’ve ever returned from a trip abroad with a suitcase of half-unworn items, too much makeup, toiletries you didn’t use and heels you threw aside to walk barefoot on the beach, you’re not alone. Every time I promise myself to take less, load up with last minute bits of stuff, which I fit into nooks and crannies in my case, only to leave them untouched as I spend the whole holiday in shorts or buy things in local markets.
Later, when I return everything back to it’s lair and the drawers of useful rainy-day things, I feel a little shamefaced: I lost the war once again.
We simply can’t get to this nirvana with our overstuffed closets…DV
Thing is, the beauty of a holiday is the seclusion from the overwhelming everyday melee of our lives. Foreign walls, bare of our own memorabilia, someone else to tidy up, or a basic set of items to self-cater, and likewise someone else to cook. Bliss. We simply can’t get to this nirvana with our overstuffed closets. Too much baggage…
The solution? Take less. Try a half-filled carry-on. Think you couldn’t possibly? Yes you can, with a ruthlessly pared-down edit. Here’s some suggestions for your micro-mini checklist. Which do you think you can’t live without?
10 Thing Checklist
- Just a Carry On – forget heaving big cases and even backpacks, and grab a mini-me case to curtail your packing extravaganzas. Your shoulders will thank you later and you can make it work whether you’re on a short hop or long haul.
- Scarf – evening wrap, mosquito shield, shawl, bandana, towel, blanket on long haul journeys, even a makeshift skirt or sleeping bag: go large.
- Bikini or one-piece – Naturally. Even in the city, you’re ready for Turkish Hammam, hot yoga, a sauna, lying in the park..
- Sandals & sneakers.
- Cover Up – Doubles as a floaty summer top.
- Flirty white or flower dresses – Go long, then you’re ready for every occasion.
- Vests or singlets.
- Jeans – Knee-ripped, high waisted or holey, you’ll wear them everywhere.
- Light jacket – Denim, pale leather. Make the most of summer, but don’t chill out too much.
That’s it! Happy Planning.